Thursday, August 22, 2013

Mindanao Travel Diary - Agusan, Surigao, Camiguin, Davao

So last week, I flew down south to Mindanao. Despite the travel bans and warnings all over the headlines, I continued on with my newest adventure. Yes I am that, a stubborn being. Technically speaking, I visited Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Surigao del Sur, Misamis Oriental, Camiguin, Bukidnon and Davao del Sur in chronological order. That's an astounding 7 provinces in 8 days. But really, I only passed by some of the provinces, so it shouldn't count. 

Butuan initally started off as depressing, dusty, hot and humid. Soon enough, we found ourselves atop drizzling and cloudy Mt. Mayapay; the mountain guards the city all day long. That short climb was surprisingly a difficult one. With its steep and rocky trails, I had to hoist myself up many times by clinging to unsteady movable rocks and bladed grass. This was my worst beating from a mountain hike, unforgettable. 

The capital of Agusan del Sur is named San Frans, short for San Francisco. Really, how many San Francisco towns do we have here in the Philippines?!? The shrouded Mt. Magdiwata stands resolute by the city. Agusan Marsh, perhaps next time?
Tinuy-an Falls is situated deep within Bislig, Surigao del Sur, easily a five hour bus ride from Butuan. It is deemed the Niagara of the Philippines, but for locals, an ideal place for picnics. Disclaimer: The pictures below do not portray the majesty of this natural wonder.


In Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur exists a magical body of water, Enchanted River they called it. The name goes way back in history when diwatas or what nots existed and probably used the river for healing. Swimming in its crystal clear waters with its rich marine life easily makes it one of my trip's highlights.  


With my courageous Chinese self, I am on my way to the island born of fire, Camiguin. Balingoan port is a three hour ride from Butuan. I am now in Misamis Oriental, ready to set foot the second smallest island province next to Batanes. 
Diving for coins
Shrouded Camiguin
All aboard the ferry to Camiguin's Benoni Port, gateway of mainland Mindanao.
Benoni Port in sight
View of Old Volcano, this volcano ruined the church and sank the cemetery
This habal-habal taught me never to get off the bike's right side. ALWAYS DISENGAGE ON THE LEFT says my right leg's second-degree burn. 
Sunken Cemetery
Old church ruins
Tuasan Falls
I am alone in the tranquility of White Island.
Hibok-Hibok on center view, that withstanding volcano I soon will climb.
When in Davao, indulge in Durian. Believe me, it's best served straight from the hard shell. Aroncillo or Puyat whatever variety it may be, the creaminess, the pungent smell! Ooooh lala! Lucky me I was in Davao when the fruit seasoned. Durian shake orders here and there. I had to control myself from taking in too much D, lest I get bloated. 
Davao Task Force representatives  in the parade
Highlights of Indak Indak sa Kadayawan
Terence the traveler indulging in the Kadayawan
Cheers to my awesome Davao hosts, Genesis Villagracia, Mark Yap and the Garcia family! Thank you for feeding and housing me, and for my Bisaya lessons. I shall return! 
Meet the pastor, Genesis the Generous!
I am back in the comforts of my Quezon City home. This is my 8-day adventure last August 10-17, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment